This last few days has been a blur of promotions. I can honestly see why people either hire a publicist or become one instead of a writer. After figuring out the various alley’s to travel (which I honestly have only touched the tip of the iceberg), I will say on thing is for sure – this ain’t easy.
I bet I contacted 40-50 book bloggers last week when the book released with a nice form letter that was professional, fun and gentle in request. I received three no’s and heard crickets from the rest. Now I understand that I probably went into a listing of 10,000 e-mails, but it was a bit discouraging to say the least.
I should add that in my own life I move at the speed of sound, so superman watch out… I’m faster than a speeding bullet!
I decided at that point to go with a virtual book tour – not one I create myself, but one where I pay someone to assist me. With this first book I actually wanted to do two tours and try out two of the best companies I have seen in the context of my research.
The first was Xpresso Book Tours. I contacted Giselle Saturday morning and within a few hours I had an e-mail back from her with information and some first round questions. She was professional and super welcoming. I signed up for a 3 week January Rock the Star’s tour, which consists of the following ($280):
Copied from their page
▪ 1 to 4 weeks (your choice)
▪ ~40 tour stops
▪ Reviews/Excerpts/Guest posts/Interviews
▪ Custom Tour Banner by Xpresso Design
▪ Media kit
▪ Advertisement on Xpresso Reads
(30,000+ views/month): 6 weeks (130$ value)
▪ Social media promo: Kick off post on Xpresso Reads’ Facebook Page
(4,000+ Likes) + Daily tour promotion on Twitter @XpressoReads
▪ A personalized Tour Page at Xpresso Book Tours
Here’s the link to her page: http://xpressobooktours.com/
Next I contacted Marianne at Goddess Fish Promotions. She too got back to me right away and offered information, advice and assistance. I’ve read numerous raving reviews on this company and am looking forward to my November full service tour. The tour includes the following ($399 – changing soon):
Copied from their page
A four week tour with at least 30 stops.
- The stops will be the host’s choice of either an interview, guest post, promo only or review. Note: Reviews are possible, but not guaranteed with this tour. We will provide you with a list of interview questions and blog topics to choose from when you book your tour. You’ll complete these ahead of time and we’ll break them down into interesting and appropriately sized stops.
You’ll also receive:
- We provide the prizes, do the drawings via Rafflecopter that we create for the tour and we will issue the prizes at the end of your tour. Prizes consist of a $50 Amazon/BN GC to a randomly drawn commenter, and a $25 Amazon GC to one randomly drawn host
- Creation of a professional cover graphic for your Facebook page using your book covers or website header/logo
- A six month cover ad + text or a six month rotating cover only ad (using all your book covers) at Long and Short Reviews. Ad graphic is created by us, and the graphic will be yours to keep and use as you choose.
The website for Goddess Fish is http://www.goddessfish.com/
Couple more things… Because I’m YA, I contacted the local high school’s PTO/PTA president and let them know that I was a local author and would love to donate a book or host a booth or whatever at any of the HS events this year.
I created the flyer below to drop off in the local starbucks and Panera bread restaurants. My hawt hubby is out in town now posting them up to various community bulletin boards. Yes, his hotness will help. I know… I know no bounds. 🙂
Lastly, I put up a 3 month gold add for $50 on YAPC – Young Adult Promo Center. Amanda was super helpful, kind and easy to talk to. I submitted my information and payment to her and am excited to see how this medium might play out. The following comes with the gold package:
Copied from their page
- Posts advertised weekly to over 234,574 of YAPC’s combined followers from Twitter, Google +, Facebook, Reddit, Digg, Stumbelupon and more
- Three months of Sidebar Advertising
- You get 15% off of advertised authors services
- Choice of guest post, author interview, or book blurb/excerpt feature
- Book cover advertised and archived on Facebook Pinterest with links to Amazon
- Your post stays on our highly optimized site for the duration of YAPC
Visit their website if you’re a YA author. It’s fun and their humor is refreshing and welcomed. http://yapromocentral.com/
To say I’ve been busy would be an understatement. *drools on the keyboard*